JOB TITLE: Political Reporter
WHO WE ARE The American Independent covers national, state, and local politics from our unique point of view as a leading digital news platform for the left. We fact check, debunk, and hold powerful people to account, both within the larger national conversation and by shining a light on people and issues that otherwise might not receive the coverage they deserve.
OVERVIEW: The American Independent is seeking an experienced political reporter to join our growing team. The ideal candidate will be fluent in AP style, and able to work independently in a collaborative, rapid-response environment.
- Pitch fresh angles on big reported news of the day, as well as longer enterprise stories that rely on original reporting.
- Be able to quickly and cleanly write breaking news stories when needed.
- Track news developments in real time and share with the editorial team as needed.
- Cultivate a wide network of sources within American politics and progressive issue advocacy.
- Collaborate with other team members as needed.
- Exceptional writing skills. Your writing must be clean and compelling. Fluency in AP style is a major plus.
- Excellent understanding of national politics and campaigns at both the federal and state levels.
- Solid news judgment
- Communicative, engaged, and eager to take initiative
- Capable of managing multiple priorities simultaneously. Able to adjust priorities and/or story focus quickly as the news shifts.
- Organized, detail-oriented
- Ability to work well with others in a virtual workspace.
Qualified candidates will be asked to complete a timed writing test.
PAY :Starting salary of $70k plus benefits, commensurate with experience. Our team is currently all remote, though DC-based reporters who can eventually work from our office are strongly preferred.
TO APPLY :To apply, send a resume, a cover letter explaining why you are the right fit for this position, and links to three writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The American Independent is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and strongly encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or disability.