JOB TITLE: Social Media Manager
OVERVIEW: The American Independent is seeking a talented, motivated individual to manage all of our social media accounts, and craft and lead our social media strategy, with a focus on growing the organization’s reach and audience. Our ideal applicant is innovative, obsessed with news, and intimately familiar with progressive politics.
- Create all social media content, both for existing platforms and new platforms
- Work directly with the editorial team to identify stories that need to be covered on a timely basis
- Maintain a daily posting schedule for all social media platforms, including monitoring trends and breaking news
- Develop and maintain a regular system for analyzing data and reporting performance across platforms, and provide creative recommendations on how to improve
- Cover live events, including but not limited to presidential debates, congressional hearings, press conferences, and breaking news
- Excellent writing skills, with a demonstrated ability to write content quickly and with minimal oversight
- Three to five years of relevant work experience managing social media programs; newsroom experience is a major plus
- Experience with social and media analytics, including Google Analytics, Twitter Analytics, and Facebook Insights
- Politically savvy, aware, and engaged, with an insatiable appetite for news
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple tasks and responsibilities at once, with the flexibility to adapt quickly to an ever-changing news cycle
PAY: This is a full-time position with a starting salary range of $65,000, commensurate with experience, plus benefits. DC-based is preferred.
TO APPLY: To apply, please send an email to email@example.com with the subject line “Social media manager” and include the following:
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position
- A description of your most successful social media campaign, with your top five performing posts (performance metric can be decided by applicant, e.g., by engagement, influencer recognition, etc.)
The American Independent is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity of ideas, experiences, and cultures, and we strongly encourage applicants from communities underrepresented in the media, including women, people of color, LGBTQIA individuals, and members of religious minorities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran status, or medical condition.